Re: UTL_FILE Problem

From: <nhelman_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 18:26:45 GMT

In article <39D1B9C7.B74ABCE2_at_bayer-ag.de>,   Dirk Mika <dirk.mika.dm1_at_bayer-ag.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Okay, so I see a lot about file permissions and writing to a client
> > workstation using UTL_FILE in Unix... what about NT. As best we can
> > tell, the Oracle owner is the workstation System account that starts
> > the NT Oracle services. However, even giving full control
 permissions
> > to the "Everyone" group doesn't allow UTL_FILE to write files
> > remotely. Works like a charm ON the server itself. Anyone able to
> > offer any successful experiences doing this on NT?
>
> What do you mean with "write files remotely"? You just can write into
> files on the server. If your client connect to the database via
 sqlnet,
> there is no way to write into files on the client-machine. If the
 client
> runs on the same box it's not prbloem of course. That's no matter of
 the
> OS.
>
> Dirk Mika
> --
> Bayer AG
> WD-AED /LEV
> D-51368 Leverkusen
> Telefon: +49 (214) 30-50360
> Telefax: +49 (214) 30-20031
> Email : dirk.mika.dm1_at_bayer-ag.de

So, what you're saying, then, is that a stored procedure cannot write to a network share that points to a location that doesn't exist on the server? That makes it sound as though the SQL*Net is replacing OS functionality with its own. Is that the case?

I'm running DB jobs that extract data to flat files. Ideally, the flat files should never exist on the DB server, but go straight to the fileserver (a different machine).

Thanks,
Neal

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Sep 28 2000 - 13:26:45 CDT