Re: Corrupted datafile

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 20:07:24 +1000

All I can say is -I'm currently in the middle of a Backup and Recovery course, and I shall be showing my students your post tomorrow -can they spot the error in reasoning here?

(Hint: if you can't afford data loss, you can't afford NOT to be taking archives, and I don't care how big the database is, or how much redo would be generated.)

I'm afraid that the answer to your actual question is: you are stuffed -big time, if it's true that data loss in unacceptable.

It is conceivable that whatever has been affected by the corruption has an index in another tablespace that is unaffected -and it is conceivable you might be able to extract the key fields from the index. It is conceivable that Oracle support has tools that can poke around inside corrupted blocks and retrieve certain amounts of data. It is conceivable they could actually retrive *most* of your data using such techniques.

But there are no guarantees, and I'd be placing a call to Oracle support pronto.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000