Re: Partial export of a database ???

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:48:26 GMT

In article <8qss6l$dn4$1_at_news.entreprises.cegetel.fr>,   "news.sky.fr" <ybuillas_at_sopra.com> wrote:
> Hi and thanks for reading,
>
> I would like to clone a database from one machine to another one (not
 on the
> same network)
>
> There are just the datas of one user which need to be cloned.
>
> At the moment, I use an export of all the object of this user,
 compressing
> of the dump file and transfert via ftp (and after, import of this
 user on
> the other machine)
>
> There are a lot of tables (about 1500 !) and about 30 tables are very
 big
> and don't need to be transfered (but all of these table are owned by
 the
> same Oracle user)
>
> So, my question is :
> Is it possible to do a partial export of a database --- i.e.
 something like
> " export ( select * from tab where tname like 'x%' ) ---
>
> Any idea ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Yan in Annecy (France)
> mailto:ybuillas_at_sopra.com

Yes, see the tables= parameter of exp. You can use SQL to generate a file of table names you can edit into a series of tables= parameters. Be aware that from version 7.0 - 7.3 that there was a 99 table name limit per export. But a 1000 tables would only need 11 jobs and it is a trival task to generate a comma delimited list of tablenames to edit. I have not checked the limit for 8+, but suspect it is still 99.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.