Re: Oracle TNS error

From: <sambavan_at_motown.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:21:06 -0500

here is the explanation for ORA-12500

12500, 00000, "TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process"

// *Cause:  The process of starting up a dedicated server process failed.
// The executable could not be found or the environment may be set up
// incorrectly.
// *Action: Turn on tracing at the ADMIN level and reexecute the
operation.
// Verify that the ORACLE Server executable is present and has execute
// permissions enabled. Ensure that the ORACLE environment is specified
// correctly in LISTENER.ORA. The Oracle Protocol Adapter that is being
// called may not be installed on the local hard drive.  Please check that
// the correct Protocol Adapter are successfully linked.
// If error persists, contact Oracle Customer Support.

One possibility is that you might not have a dedicated service set on oracle listener and you are trying to make a shared service name to a dedicated one. Suggestion would be ask your DBA about the dedicated listener service name and put it in your tnsnames.ora file on the client side and try executing your script. On the other hand if you are using odbc (don't know much about) then use the dedicated service name to connect to your database.

Good luck
Sam