8i installation considerations

From: <yissey_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 01:33:25 GMT

Hi,

I'm about to have 8.1.6 installed on a Sun box and I understand that there are guidelines for the placements of the various 8i files, for
performance, security and "safety" considerations.

The file systems on the Sun box are structured as follows:
fs1: OS+swap, 16GB (effective) mirrored
fs2: software application etc, 16GB no mirroring,

     not RAID-ed
fs3: data, 128GB (effective) RAID5
fs4: data, 128GB (effective) RAID5

I'd like to have the data tablespaces (USERS etc) reside on fs3 and fs4 while the rest (SYSTEM, TOOLS, ROLLBACK, INDEX and TEMPORARY) in fs2. The Oracle home will go into fs2 too.

Is this a good approach? Or should I consider putting some of the tablespaces on fs1 which is mirrored?

Also, when I run out of physical diskspace in say, fs3 for my USERS table space, can I subsequently configure 8i to use fs4 where there's more space?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,
 yuan.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Sep 27 2000 - 20:33:25 CDT