ORATUNE...The TOOLS tablespace...?

From: kb <no email>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:06:41 GMT

First, thanks to all of you for your comments. Second, I don't believe that any DBA where I live and work, Atlanta, Ga, would ever have to leave under less than desirable circumstances. A quick perusal of the Oracle jobs available here would generate more than 1,300 posted jobs for Oracle people, on one IT job website alone, with about 300 of those falling under the category of DBA. So in this town, I would imagine that if someone leaves, it's in the pursuit of that do-re-mi, and not because someone got their extents all in a wad. When the previous DBA left, I was 'assigned' the job of Oracle DBA, which I welcomed and encouraged, because I had reached my personal limit with writing AS/400 software. And it saved my company many thousands of dollars because they didn't have to hire a recruiter fill the position.
So anyway, after seeing the results of creating a db with the scripts that were left for me as my only guide, I did change them so that the USER1 tablespace was set to minextents=1, and that saved many dozens of MB space. So having said that, I have a follow-up question for ORATUNE. Can you help me figure the desirable attributes for a TOOLS tablespace? The databases I currently work with are each in total about 3gb, with a 4k blocksize. I have two of them running on a dual-processor NT machine with 1gb RAM, and RAID storage equivalent to about 70gb. At any given time during the business day there are about 70-80 mostly inactive client-server sessions attached to one of the instances, and no more than a dozen to the other. Any advice you can give on tuning these instances would be appreciated. And what sort of vendor packages would use the TOOLS tablespace? Thanks again,
Kenneth Buck Received on Tue Sep 26 2000 - 23:06:41 CDT