Re: Capacity planning for VERY large table

From: Dave A <dave_and_vanna_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:13:01 -0500

The short answer is it depends :-)

Nothing is going to read 1.5 Tb of data in 1 second. Using indexes will reduce the amount of data that needs to be read, but with 25 billion rows, I think you can pretty much throw out 1 second queries all together. If fast performance is of prime importance you will need a way to get the object being queried smaller.

Many large company's entire datawarehouse is a fraction of this one table. That being said, if you put this table on 128 disks on a server with 128 processors and run with a parallel degree of the same number the response time may be amazingly fast, but who knows, I haven't worked with any objects (or databases for that matter) that are this large.

Unless your company has an extra 3-4 million laying around for a loaded E10000 and EMC disks I would look at creating a smaller object to query.

--
Dave A