Re: Need a reality check!

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 03:39:53 GMT

        You shouldn't without good reason. The only potential problem is that

while in backup mode the redo log entries (and the archives they become)

are larger. If you are tight for disk space ...

        I recently replaced a hot backup that put all tablespaces in backup mode, did the backup, and then put them back in normal mode. It had bee n
running for six months with no problems.

        Although it "weren't broke" I replaced it because it was a static procedure requiring script editing whenever a tablespace or datafile was

added or deleted. (With over 20 database instances and only two DBAs I

wanted to create a dynamic hot backup process able to adjust to a changing environment without human intervention.)

On 9/25/00, 7:10:01 PM, kal121_at_my-deja.com wrote regarding Need a realit y
check!:

> What do you think of the practice of putting ALL OF YOUR TABLESPACES i
> hot backup mode simultaneously? Is this a good idea or bad idea and wh
y?