Re: Urgent: System tablespace corruption

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:30:48 +0200

That reply is incorrect.
Catalog.sql builds views only, it doesn' reconstruct the system tablespace. Catproc.sql create stored procedures.
This would only have helped in you were having corrupt views or procedures. You did change the 100 in your own corrupted block, didn't you? It is hard to believe the search returned 0 rows. Right now your only hope is to dig up an export.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Amol" <addprabha_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8qn6jf$v3n$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> The query results in 0 rows selected.Please advice and help
> Also there was a suggesion that one can run scripts such as catalog
> etc. which can rebuild the system datafile and corrupted tables.Any
> suggestions about this.
> Please help.
> Regards,
> Amol
>

> In article <969786069.7519.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> > First of all, I have seen several times in this group people stating
 dbv can
> > provide unpredictable results, and it is not reliable, at least not
 in 7.3.
> > This might be false alarm.
> > Secondly, I would assume you normally would have db_block_checksum =
 false,
> > unless you suspect some sort of hardware problem.
> > Setting this parameter to true is done only in exceptional situations.
> > Thirdly, you could easily find the corrupted segment using the
 dba_extents
> > view
> >
> > select segment_name, segment_type
> > from dba_extents e, dba_data_files f
> > where e.file_id = f.file_id
> > and 100 >= block_id and 100 <= block_id + e.blocks
> > and f.file_name = 'C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\ORCL\SYSTEM01.DBF'
> >
> > where 100 is the number of the affected block and the filename is
 the name
> > of the affected file.
> >
> > Depending on where the corruption is, exp looks the only way to go,
 at least
> > if those blocks are truly corrupt.
> > However, of course the datadictionary is used to determine which
 objects to
> > export.
> > I would recommend posting the outcome of the above query here.
> >
> > Hope this of some help.
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >
> > "Amol" <addprabha_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > > Oracle gurus,
> > >
> > > I have oracle 7.3.4 and the problem I am facing is block corruption
 in
> > > system tablespace. I cannot restore it from any of the backups as
 the
> > > corruption exists in all the backups of the DB. I did verify this
 using
> > > the tool "dbv". Please suggest if in any way the corruption can be
> > > removed without loss of any data.
> > >
> > > Can I use the export utility for the above problem? What would be
 the
> > > implication if I change the parameter DB_BLOCK_CHECKSUM to false?
 Will