Re: Becoming an Oracle DBA

From: Liz Reen <lizr_at_geologist.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:39:01 -0400

In article <pqgv5.1964$Zk.11582_at_news3.atl>, america_at_usa.com says...
> The last time I checked with Oracle, there were only ~ 24,000 Oracle
> Certified Professionals
> worldwide. Oracle certification is challenging and if you can pass all the
> tests, my money
> says you know your stuff.

If you can pass the test without any experience, it tells me that the test is worthless. There is a large difference between knowing the information and using it. I took the backup and recovery class. I thought I "knew" everything on the subject. When time came for me to recover a database, I realized that I was not as well prepared as I thought. Databases don't always die a textbook death.

> Your chances of getting a Job are excellent, even
> with no experience,
> although, it would be better If your had some kind of ' IT ' experience.

An experienced sys admin can become a DBA (by DBA I mean Database Administrator not a Database Architect). An experienced programmer will have a slightly harder time as they are not used to the sys admin aspects of the job. Someone who has never worked in IT is in for a real awakening. There is so much too learn about computers most of which you do not get in school. For example, no one taught me how to deal with the users of my systems.

> AH <gucciard_at_Bayou.UH.EDU> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm planning on making a career change and becoming an Oracle DBA.
> > I'm currently studying for the 1st exam of the Oracle DBA certification--
> > Exam 1Z0-001 "SQL and PL/SQL". I would really appreciate your comments
> > and/or suggestions on the following questions:
> >
> > 1. In your experience, is it easy to find a job as an Oracle DBA with no
> > experience and with just the Oracle certification? For instance, would it
> > be better to go through my Oracle DBA certification and then apply for a
> > DBA job (with no experience in databases), or would it be better to work
> > as an SQL programmer for a while and acquire some experience, and then
> > apply for a DBA job upon completing my certification?

Depends on who is doing the interviewing, if they know their stuff you're in trouble. If they know nothing, you will get the job. However in such a job you will most likely not learn anything and you will pick up bad habits.

> > 2. What type of salary should a DBA with no experience expect (in
> > Texas). What about a DBA with 1, 5, and 10 years of experience?
I wouldn't expect big bucks at the start. After 5 years your salary will be high, but only if you really know your stuff. When people start paying near 6 figures, they want results for their money.

> > 3. Which version of Oracle should I get my DBA certification on (version
> > 8, 8i, 9i, ... ) ?

8i, but study version 7 too. A lot of places are still running 7.3.4.

> > 4. What are some pros and cons of working as an Oracle DBA? Specifically,
> > is this a stressful job?

Yes. You are the person upon whom everyone depends. The buck stops with you. If you don't like hot seats don't become a DBA.

> > Is there a lot of overtime involved?

Depends on the company, but normally yes there is a lot of overtime. I have yet to find the company which will let me do the maintenance during business hours. If you are lucky you can do it on a weekend day. Mostly you can only do it at night.

Good Luck,

Liz Received on Mon Sep 25 2000 - 08:39:01 CDT