Re: Urgent: System tablespace corruption

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 00:45:42 GMT

For this problem, please call Oracle support. There are some undocumented init.ora parameters that can be invoked as a sort of "court-of-last-resort" when you don't have a lot to lose anyway. I was once called to a site where the sysadmin had turned of archiving temporarily (four months ago) and the cold backup tape drive had no tape etc. etc. and with Oracle support's help we recovered all of the database to within about 30 minutes of the point of failure.

Van

"Dave A" <dave_and_vanna_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:sssargr05fun77_at_corp.supernews.com...
> While I can't add anything about recovering your system tablespace to the
> discussion, might I ask why *all* of the backups contain the corruption?
> Has this database been corrupt since it's inception? Are you using
 Veritas
> QuickIO by chance? It has a terrible bug that causes this corruption to
> certain datafiles both in the database as well as when the datfiles are
> backed up.(Yes, there is a patch).
>
> --
> Dave A
>

> "Ronald" <ronr_at_deja.com> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 24 Sep 2000 9:01:08 +0200, Amol wrote
> > (in message <8qk8rg$rgb$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>):
> >
> > > Oracle gurus,
> > >
> > > I have oracle 7.3.4 and the problem I am facing is block corruption in
> > > system tablespace. I cannot restore it from any of the backups as the
> > > corruption exists in all the backups of the DB. I did verify this
 using
> > > the tool "dbv". Please suggest if in any way the corruption can be
> > > removed without loss of any data.
> > >
> > > Can I use the export utility for the above problem? What would be the
> > > implication if I change the parameter DB_BLOCK_CHECKSUM to false?
 Will
> > > it solve this problem? Also suggest how to find which table/index is
> > > corrupt from the system datafile. This is very urgent and your
> > > suggestions will be very much appreciated.
> >
> > You could try to do a full export and import in in a fresh created
 database.
> > Without a valid backup you don't have much chance to do something else.
 If
> > you know EXACTLY what you do you could use dd to manipulate the blocks
 but