Re: 450 reads/sec on Solaris (8i) - what is needed?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 10:19:30 +0100

First make sure that you have at least 15 spindles dedicated to addressing your read rate. Notwithstanding manufacturers' benchmarks and gigabyte cache sizes I usually factor in 30 reads per sec per spindle as am achievable figure when trying to predict system requirements from paper.

Then make sure that you definitely have the main data set spread uniformly across all 15 - it's too easy on big black boxes to find that you have the right amount of kit, but only 25% of it is being used.

How are you estimating your write rate ? Number of updates per second, number of commits per second. Including or excluding archiving ? Whilst it's reasonably safe to bet that reads probably means random database reads, writes come in many forms.

Allow at least two more spindles for redo, and another two for archived redo.

You already have the idea of the potential for bottlenecks on SCSI chains and controllers, so enough said on that one, just watch out that you don't (e.g.) mirror down a chain instead of across chains.

--

Jonathan Lewis