BLOB and LONG RAW datatypes

From: Zed Martins <zed_at_tecnisainfor.com.br>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 21:49:09 GMT

Hi there!

I was just reading Oracle 8i documentation when I saw a paragraph saying "Oracle strongly recommends that you convert LONG RAW columns to BLOB columns" and suggests using TO_LOB function to do it.

CREATE TABLE long_table (n NUMBER, long_col LONG RAW); CREATE TABLE lob_table (n NUMBER, lob_col BLOB);

INSERT INTO lob_table
  SELECT n, TO_LOB(long_col) FROM long_table;

I have some LONG RAW columns that I have been using since Oracle 7.3, and I would like to do this conversion in a Oracle 8.0.5.1 database, but TO_LOB function doesn't exist in 8.0.5 databases, it only exists in 8i databases.

How can I easly transfer my LONG RAW columns to BLOB columns in 8.0.5 databases?

Thanks in advance,

Zed.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Sep 22 2000 - 16:49:09 CDT