Re: 1 listener service for 2 servers running separate instances

From: <jasondma_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:34:20 GMT

Thanks for you response. Would connection manager help me? From what I understand I could set up OCM on a port(def 1600) but it is uhnclear to me if I could then direct client traffic to 2 different listener services running on different servers.

If I can't do this I will need to do some juggling and figure out how to have a listener service on one server direct requests to an instance on another server.

Thanks again for your help

In article <969573976.6606.1.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,   "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> It is *NOT* possible. Every server needs to have it's own listener,
 as the
> listener is spawning processed on your behalf.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> <jasondma_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8qdpbd$jq1
 $1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am NEWbie to Oracle and I am am not sure what I
> > am trying to do is possible with the tools I
> > know. Any help pointing me in the right direction
> > would be most appreciated.
> >
> > The problem:
> >
> > I have 2 servers running separate instances of
> > Oracle. Server 1 straddles the firewall and
> > server 2 is completely behind it. I would like to
> > set up a listener service on server 1 that would
> > act as a proxy routing connections either to the
> > instance on server 1 or on server 2 depending on
> > the connection string.
> >
> > First off, is this possible? I have tried many
> > iterations of listener.ora and tnsnames.ora
> > combinations and I have come up short.
> >
> > Again, I am grateful for any guidance.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jason
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Sep 22 2000 - 10:34:20 CDT