Re: tips on moving oracle to new machine

From: <gdas_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/09/21

In article <mVmy5.1332$qT6.69228_at_nnrp4.clara.net>,   "Dave Wotton" <Dave.Wotton_at_dwotton.nospam.clara.co.uk> wrote:
> Howard J. Rogers wrote in message <39c9dc65_at_news.iprimus.com.au
> <mailto:39c9dc65_at_news.iprimus.com.au>>...
> >But what about triggers and procedures, Dave? That was my point. I
 love
> >the indexfile script, but it doesn't do the entire job. That's why,
> >whoever's advice he follows, some extra work is going to be
 involved...

> I'll just repeat the relevant bit of my posting, which you quoted ...
>
> >>Next run
> >>
> >> imp full=y indexes=no ignore=y ....
> >>
> >> to import the data into the pre-created tables, roles,
 triggers,grants
> >> etc. but don't create the indexes.
>
> Dave.
> --
> If you reply to this posting by email, remove the "nospam" from my
 email
> address first.

First of all, i really appreciate all of the advice that everyone gave me. The strategy I chose was to use the indexfile method, first creating the tables (modifying their storage and tablespace attributes first) while commenting out the index creation statements. Then loading the data and then going back and recreating the indexes. This was actually pretty painless. At this point I was somewhat stuck because I had to get some procedures and sequences out of the dump file. I never really solved the issue from an oracle perspective. I manually recreated all the sequences...there were about 40 so I did take a little while and then for the procedures, we have a separate source control system where we store all the code for our procedures, so I simply re-ran all the create scripts from there and luckily everything compiled on the new server. I have saved this thread and in the future I will keep in mind all alternative approaches that everyone has given. It would have been nice though if the import procedure had an option to allow for a list of objects and object types besides tables to be imported.

Thanks very much.
Gavin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Sep 21 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT