Re: index fragmentation

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/09/21

True, and your example of 160,000 extents in a table would be more than a slight overhead. On the other hand if you have a table of 10,000,000 rows, and accidentally set the extent size so that one extent holds only 5,000 rows so that you get 2,000 extents allocated during a bulk load, what fraction of the total time is likely to be from the 10,000,000 inserts, and what fraction from the 2,000 sets of recursive insert/update ?

I have to say that my personal target is to limit the extents per segment to about 40, but that's a very flexible target. Partly based on the fact that if my calculations are out I'm not going to waste more than about 2.5% of the space allocated. FET$ and the impact on smon used to be a consideration before locally managed tablespaces appeared.

--

Jonathan Lewis