Re: analyzing db for performance bottlenecks

From: Steven Hauser <hause011_at_garnet.tc.umn.edu>
Date: 2000/09/20

You need to give us a few more details and take a system wide view of performance. Your testing might not even be relevant.

What sort of Oracle server hardware is it, a one disk box with a single CPU and 64MB RAM? Or a EMC 10 Terabyte EMC disk array with an E100000 128 CPU Sun?

4*1800/minute is 120/second SQL processed. That might be all you get for small old hardware.

How much data? The typical one row per table development environment or is that 10 TB EMC disk array full up?

Is your SQL even using indexes? Using partitioning?

What sort of network? 10mb nics on a shared segment with 127 other machines running lots of chatty protocols?

Default init.ora for instance configuration? With the default 'demo' instance?

And I hope you are not starting and stopping a connection to the database each time you do a request.

> We are doing performance tests on our server and it looks like the
> bottleneck is database. We are using oracle 8.1.6 on solaris or NT with
> java/corba server and the connection to database is using JDBC. On
> solaris, one java server can handle 1800 requests/minute and increasing
> the number of servers to 4 (all of them connecting to the same db)
> increases the total number of requests handled by the system. But after
> that point, increasing the number of java servers does not help. This is
> the case even if we move each server to its own machine and the db alone
> on one machine.
>
> Do you know of good tools to analyze the database to see where the
> bottlenecks are or tools to help tune a database? We have checked for
> disk contention and shared memory so far and they seem fine. Thank you,
>
> Manju.

Steven Hauser
email: hause011@tc.umn.edu   URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~hause011