Setup to Server.

From: Patrick <wk.tay_at_student.qut.edu.au>
Date: 2000/09/20

Hi,

        i had installed Oracle Developer 6 in my win98 system and i would like to connect to my university server throught the modem. Btw Developer 6 does not has SQL*NET ...it renames the directory as NET8...

        I knew that i would have to configure this file "TNSNAMES"...but there are several files of this name in the oracle directory...i just don't know which one to edit if i want to connect to my university server.

i have several Questions:

  1. Could anyone tell me which directory should i go to if i want to edit this file to connect to my university???? See Bottom for the script.....
  2. There is also a file called SQLNET in /net80/admin ....must i edit this file ?
  3. btw....should i edit the file "Listener.ora" to enable me to connect.???
  4. i heard alot about Tracing....any idea what is that ?

Can anyone help me !!!

My university is behind a firewall....and i could run autosocks...

My university is running Developer 2000.

        These are the configurations i got from the university Tnsnames file , i think i should add the following to the TNSNAMES file in my desktop:

.
.
.

dpt.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
           (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)

(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = redash.qut.edu.au)
(Port = 1521)
) (ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = redash.qut.edu.au)
(Port = 1526)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = dpt)
    )
  )
orcl.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
        (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
         (PROTOCOL = TCP)

(Host = prakash.fit.qut.edu.au)
(Port = 1521)
) (ADDRESS = (COMMUNITY = tcp.world) (PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = prakash.fit.qut.edu.au)
(Port = 1526)
)

    )