Re: tips on moving oracle to new machine

From: Martin Rapier <m.rapier_at_sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: 2000/09/20

gdas_at_my-deja.com wrote in article <8q9841$8c9$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...

> I was wondering if anyone can provide me with any tips for moving an
> oracle database from one machine to another in such a way as to map the
> exported objects to different tablespaces (is this possible)?
{snip}

Run import using the INDEXFILE option. This creates a script with all the table and index definitions in (the former REMd out, but easily fixed).

Edit the tablespace and any other storage definitions & run the script to pre-create the tables on the new machine. Then run import normally to load them and bingo.

I've done this loads of times, although it can be a bit time consuming if you have hundreds of tables to do.

> If this isn't possible, is my only option basically to import the items
> and then manually move them (duplicate the tables, create new tables,
> and then create table as select..., drop indexes and recreate etc...).

Hmm, well you could always do a 'create table as select...' on the new machine and select over a database link back to the old one - after all you've already got copies of the tables on the old machine, so why duplicate them. This may be impractical with large tables though.

BTW remember to turn archivelogging off for the duration of the load if you are loading a whole database - unless the volumes are low relative to your archive log disk space of course. 'create index... unrecoverable...' can be handy as well, but take full OS level backups after the load if you are disabling archivelogging.

Cheers
Martin. Received on Wed Sep 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT