Re: tips on moving oracle to new machine

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/09/20

First, import will house a table (or other segment) in exactly the same tablespace as it came from. If there is no identical tablespace, then it will house it in the default tablespace of the person doing the import. If there is no default tablespace, it will go to SYSTEM tablespace (ugh!).

Theoretically, you could import at the table level having carefully changed your default tablespace beforehand, and thus accomplish a change in tablespace, but this is clunky to say the least.

The move tablespace is *almost* worth upgrading to 8i on its own, and it certainly has nothing to do with index-organised tablespaces per se.

You might want to consider the INDEXFILE option of the import command: it create a text file which contains the SQL statements necessary to re-create indexes and tables. The create table statements are all remm'ed out, but it's a quick fix to edit the file and remove the rems. You then have a script that will reconstruct all tables and indexes (assuming you specified full=y). It can be edited to make the 'tablespace' bits refer to any tablespace you fancy.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000