Re: analyzing db for performance bottlenecks

From: <jmanju_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:50:24 GMT

In article <39C7D148.52601733_at_tandr.com>,   Guy Birkbeck <guy_at_tandr.com> wrote:
> You didn't mention the type of transaction
 (insert/update/delete/select), if

> triggers/packages were involved, if the machine itself was CPU bound
etc.

It was a combination of all kinds of transactions, with more selects. It is something like 50% selects, 10% deletes, 20% inserts and 20% updates. We use a very few packages -- something like 5, lot of stored procedures and a some triggers.

None of the analysis on the machine showed anything bad. Memory hits were good and it wasn't CPU bound.

> Oracle out of the box comes with many tools for tracing down such
 problems.

> You could be dealing w/ locking (the java servers locking the same
 rows -
> utllockt)
> concerns, sorting concerns, redo issues, archive targets, have you
 collected
> stats
> on NT yet .....
>
> start w/ bstat-estat

Yes, the servers locking the same rows could be a problem since we couldn't find anything wrong with the machine itself.

An oracle expert did help us in some things like setting up redo logs, tablespaces such that disk contention can be reduced etc. But, i myself, am not very familiar with oracle stuff. I was looking for pointers and this definitely helps. I will start by looking at what utllockt and bstat-estat are.

We haven't started any tests on NT yet since we still don't officially support the server on NT.

Thanks,
Manju.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Sep 19 2000 - 16:50:24 CDT