Re: analyzing db for performance bottlenecks

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:31:54 +0200

Start using utlbstat and utlestat first before getting to buy any tools. It's free and it comes with Oracle.
Just run utlbstat at one point in time, and utlestat 4 to 8 hours later. Don't forget to enable timed_statistics, before you do this.

However, I already have a feeling you incorrectly blame the database. Here's why:
Question:
Are you using bind variables?
My experience is many java/jdbc programmers don't use them. Doing so they will force a *hard parse* (which is very costly) and a very low statement hit-ratio at the database side.
The Oracle Enterprise Edition is capable of translating all those hardcoded literals into bind variables, the Oracle Server Edition isn't. You don't specify which edition you are using, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is the problem.
In that case, You are vexing your cpu too much by sending all those unnecessary parse requests.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA