Export or Ascii Dump for Archiving?

From: Tom Best <tombest_at_firstusa.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:19:12 GMT

When you want to archive off some tables from the operational database, it seems to me that doing an ascii data dump (usable by sqlldr) makes more sense than using export. I think this because you may not want to load it back into the same database with the same tablespace name, etc. The environement you end up loading it back into (for looking at for a day, for instance) may be totally different than the operational environment it was archived out of.

Do you agree with this?

Thanks,
Tom Best

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Sep 19 2000 - 06:19:12 CDT