Re: Defragmenting table

From: FGuelfucci <guelfucci_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 07:05:05 GMT

frank,
I am using windows NT4 server and client machines, I doubt that there is a bad spot as both servers, (main & mirror) don't seem to log any errors.
As for fragmented you might be right but either I am doing it wrong and I need an example or it something else, (The getting slower and slower would point to the latter).
Thanks

Florent Guelfucci
Software Engineer
In article <39C646ED.CC4DB65B_at_home.nl>,
  frank <fbortel_at_home.nl> wrote:
> What OS are you on? Any change of hitting a bad spot
> on the disk(s)? Several OS's log that in system logs (if enabled).
> Other possibility: is this an eutoextending datafile? Maybe that is
> fragmented?
>
> FGuelfucci wrote:
>
> > Things are getting worse and worse, I have stopped the users from
> > adding anything to the table but it is still getting slower and
 slower.
> > I really cannot see what could possibly cause oracle,(8.0.6), to
 slow
> > itself down, (and only on that table).
> > Any ideas?
> > I did check v$session_wait but it doesn't seem to help much. I will
 do
> > sql_trace latter.
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > In article <8psl8q$3eq$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > FGuelfucci <fguelfucci_at_goalgroup.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > > I hope that someone could help me with a little problem.
> > > I often have to do a query on a table, +/-30000 rows, but for some
> > > reason the system takes between 10 to 40 secs to return from the
 select
> > > count(*), statement, (other tables are 5 times the size and 3
 times
> > > faster).
> > > There are 2 indexes and 2 primary keys. The size of the table
 would
> > > indicate that it should be very quick.
> > > For the purpose of the application I have to do a select count(*)
 often
> > > as the exact number of rows varies from time to time, does any one
 know
> > > a better way of doing it or a SQL statement that would defrag the
 table.
> > > Any help would be great, (and would make me look great at work).
> > > Thanks for all the help you can give.
> > > Florent.
> > >
> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.
> > >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Sep 19 2000 - 02:05:05 CDT