Re: Character Sets

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 23:42:15 +1000

First that the choice of character set is not dependent in and of itself on O/S Platform (though the defaults may be).

Second, the difference between the two character sets you mentioned is one bit. Western European 8-bit ISO versus US Ascii 7-bit. The one bit means that characters above number 127 are not possible in the US version (so no umlauts, cedillas, e-acute, e-grave and those funny Scandanavian ohs with a slash through them (whose name I wish I knew, but don't).

If you never use characters 128 onwards, I guess you'll be wasting a bit per character in all your data, which could conceivably add up to a significant amount of storage space.

However, disks are cheap, and I'm not sure I'd ever worry about it (to the point where I wonder whether I shouldn't be creating Unicode databases these days just to make sure all my options for the future are kept open).

If your existing dump files are in US 7-bit format, then there will be a character conversion performed automatically when you try and import into an 8-bit database. You don't need to do anything to make this happen, but it will slow the import process down significantly. Assuming it was a one-off import when first creating your database, though, that too may not be a particular worry. If it was something that happened quite often, I'd worry.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000