Re: Is there an other way than SQL*Net ?

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:12:55 GMT

In article <8q5cp2$l52$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   david.archer_at_chase.com wrote:
> Basically yes there are - but it depends on what you are trying to do.
> What is it you are trying to do? Are you trying to access via some
> sort of development environment?
>
> David Archer
>
> In article <T7px5.973$5p6.1624117_at_nnrp4.proxad.net>,
> "Philippe CEROU" <philippe.cerou_at_free.fr> wrote:
> > My question is simple, I want to acces an Oracle 7.3.4 Database
 which
 is
> > running on an AIX 4.2.1 with a client which is mounted under WINDOWS
 95.

> > Is there another way to connect the database, by setting up the
 server and
> > the client, to use something else than SQL*Net ?
> >
> > I have found an ODBC driver for Oracle, but I must use SQL*Net !

> > Thanks.

To access Oracle from a PC via ODBC drivers requires the Oracle Net8 (sqlnet) client be installed. In fact, all access to Oracle actually requires use of parts of the Net8/sqlnet interface. Parts of sqlnet come built-in to many Oracle clients and when you access Oracle from the same machine using a local connection the listener product does not have to be running, but TNS is still the underlying communication medium interface. In other words sqlnet is still being used. When you access Oracle from a remote machine then the listener is required and the listener listens for Net8/sqlnet messages so there is no way around using sqlnet.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.