Re: Backup Controlfile to Trace

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 13:07:47 +1000

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the advice.

I've actually taken a bit from what you've put below, plus something David wrote, and come up with:

select s.paddr,p.addr,p.username,p.spid from v$session s,v$process p where s.paddr=p.addr and s.osuser like '%myNTlogin%'; and I can now predict the name of the trace file perfectly. So that's real progress, and many thanks.

Just one more query, and I'm home and dry. I may (as a single O/S user) have a number of sessions at any one time, and only issue the backup to trace command from one of them.... in which case, the above query will return a number of possible trace file name suggestions, only one of which will be correct. What I need is to be able to tell the unique session number for the session in which I am actually typing the backup command, and I've totally forgotten (if I ever knew) how to identify uniquely what my current session number is.

Any further advice? (And I apologise in advance if this is trivial stuff... there's a small thing called the Olympics sitting between me at home and my manuals in the office).

Cheers in advance
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

"malikian" <malikian_at_breathemail.net> wrote in message

> You don't need any C!
> Just run one of below;
>
> select username, spid from v$process;
>
> or
> select spid from v$process where username = 'YOUR_OS_USER_ACCOUNT';
>
> and ORAxxxxx.TRC where xxxxx is same as spid.
>
> Robert
>

> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to work out a way of determining the name (before the event)
that
> > Oracle will give the trace file after issuing the backup controlfile to
> > trace command.
> >
> > (Windows 2000, 8.1.6)
> >
> > The trace file helpfully points out when you read it that the Windows
Thread
> > ID was 12345 (say!), and hence the tracefile name of ORA12345.TRC. But
I'd