Re: how to force full table scan when index is not valid?

From: junfan <fanjun_at_writeme.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:29:38 +0800

Hi,

I tried to use 'ALTER SESSION' command, however, it seems only effective for insert, update or delete. For select statement, the same error occurs.

Regards
"Kari Pannila" <Xkari.pannila_at_tietoenator.com> wrote in message news:39C5C053.CA551EA8_at_tietoenator.com...

If possible use ALTER SESSION command and set parameter SKIP_UNUSABLE_INDEXES to true. Unfortunately you can't set this parameter in init.ora yet ... From Oracle manual (ALTER SESSION):

SKIP_UNUSABLE_INDEXES = { TRUE | FALSE } controls the use and reporting of tables with unusable indexes or index partitions.
                               TRUE disables error reporting of indexes
marked
                               UNUSABLE. Allows inserts, deletes, and
updates to tables
                               with unusable indexes or index partitions.
                               FALSE enables error reporting of indexes
marked
                               UNUSABLE. Does not allow inserts, deletes,
and updates to
                               tables with unusable indexes or index
partitions. This is the
                               default.

regards Kari
(Mr.) Kari Pannila

      Oracle DBA

--
PS. Delete X from my mail address , it (X) is only for SPAMMERS.
    Poista X mail-osoitteen edestä, se on SPAMmereita varten.
junfan wrote:
dear all,
while loading data into a table "barcode" with index by sqlldr in direct
mode, the indexes of table barcode is not useable, and during the loading
time window, my application has to search the table, so i got error stating
the index is unusable. I wonder if I can instruct Oracle to use full scan
rather than index scan when index is not valid? My situation is under
oracle 8.15i / winnt 4.0
Tks in advance