Re: erasing Archive log

From: Martin Laslett <veertje_at_ihug.com.au>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 17:58:20 +1000

We keep 9 days worth of Archive Redo Logs. However due to a dodgy old tape device, am running out of tape during about 50% of backups (depending on how much redo is generated per day). It's not a huge problem as it is only the final directory being backed up which fails, and is an os (we're running Solaris 2.6) file rather than anything to do with Oracle.

However I have been zipping up to 7 days worth of redo prior to backing up which reduces space per log by up to 80% (5M to 1M).

Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message news:39c0a8fd$1_at_news.iprimus.com.au...
> Rubbish.
>
> Consider a true story (and we won't mention the name of the DBA concerned.
> Blush).
>
> Entire share/member register of a company wishing to de-mutualise goes
 awol
> as a result of a head crash on a hard disk.
>
> No problems. Just restore from last night's backup. Except a touch of
> nerves has set in so plonker DBA retrieves all-important tape from tape
> cabinet, drops it, and sees it scatter in a thousand pieces across the
> Server Room floor. Oops.
>
> No problem. The previous night's backup tapes are still in one piece.
 Grab
> one of those, install (carefully!) in tape machine and.... bloody hell!
 The