Re: Database Architecture or Database Administration?

From: Barry <barrywilliams_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 01:02:22 GMT

Hi,
A couple of years ago I made the move that you are thinking about, amd my advice would be to do the architecture bit for 6 months but be sure you can get back to a job which allows you to do hands-on work.

Architecture and design is fine but lacks the immediacy and satisfaction of hands-on work. The worst aspect of production DBA work is that it is boring and repetitive, and noone calls to say "Everything's OK, and thanks for your help". In my experience, the job went from boring,(when the phone didn't ring), to high-pressure,(when it did ring). At that time,(in financial institutions like Salomon Smith Barney and J.P.Morgan), I used to envy my colleagues who could come to work, sit around and dream up nice designs and architectures and go home - and get paid at least as much as I did. However, after 6 months of their kind of work, I felt unhappy, too much of my time was spent in design reviews and meetings and my job satisfaction was too low.
At least, as a DBA, I had my own area of responsibility where I was the King, and it kept me on my toes.
A middle ground which I have tried to pursue, is to become a Super or Meta-DBA, where I distill my experience into Standards and Methods of Best Practice. This involves writing Shell Scripts and SQL Scripts so it does provide hands-on job satisfaction. In fact, to get a feeling for what I mean, you can check out my Web Site at http://www.databaseanswers.com/index.htm

Good luck

Barry Williams
Principal Consultant
Database Answers

In article <39C2E1D8.867B9EEB_at_yahoo.com>,   contemplation <contemplation_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, sorry if this is a post in an incorrect group.
> I've been a DBA for about 5 years now -- production, 24X7, etc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Sep 16 2000 - 20:02:22 CDT