Re: High TEMP tablespace IO rate

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 06:45:05 +1000

Actually not true, in the strictest sense.

If you say sort area size should be 1m, your users acquire a very small PGA which, when sorts begin, *grows* to be 1m. When the sorts finish, the PGA shrinks back to whatever your sort area retained size is set to.

It is therefore possible to allocate users a much larger PGA than the pure numbers might suggest, provided they don't all connect at the same time and simultaneously start doing sorts!

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000