Re: Test Recovery from Hot Backups

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 21:08:09 +1000

  1. Try and drop a single datafile.
  2. How about opening up the current redo log in the text editor of your choice, and typing some text then saving it (guaranteed to corrupt your current log).

You might also try:

3. Drop every single control file and see what happens!

4. Delete an archived log and practise doing incomplete recoveries.

5. Drop a tablespace and recover it (requires a backup binary control file)

6. Delete files from a non-SYSTEM tablespace, and practice recovering the tablespace having brought up the rest of the database first.

7. Delete a data file, and recover it to a different location from the original -practice relocating datafiles prior to recovery.

You might want to see my backup and recovery page -download the 70-page document that's there, and see if that gives you some ideas.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000