Re: SQL Server 7/2000 vs Oracle 8i

From: Norris <jcheong_at_cooper.com.hk>
Date: 15 Sep 2000 15:53:53 GMT

In comp.databases.oracle.misc chriss_at_enteract.com wrote:
> In article <8pbd7o$cle$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> tandym_at_hotmail.com wrote:

>> I'm sure you misread what he meant - that SQL Server only runs on NT
>> (or 2000).
>>
>> BUT, you can get LINUX for FREE and then the cost of Oracle compared
>> the combination of SQL Server + NT  is about the same, perhaps less
>> depending on number of licenses and support purchased.  MS support is
>> expensive - WA-A-a-ay to expensive for what you get, imho.
>>

> Have you ever priced Oracle?
>
> Last I checked, in NT/SQL if you decide to go from a 500MHZ processor
> to a 750MHZ you didn't have to pay 50% more for the software. Also you
> don't have to pay double the cost because you have a dual processor
> box..or four times if you have a quad.
>
> Oracle pricing is fucked up. End of story. Where's the variable costs
> to justify paying more because you have a 500MHZ vs a 750MHZ
> processor? Then they charge you more depending onthe type of
> computer? 24X for a mainframe?
>
> "Sir. This tank of gas you're pumping. I see you are putting it into
> a sports-car. I have to charge you 24 times the cost."
>
> MS Support is $200(?) a support incident. I do networking and maybe
> use it 3-6 times a year. Thats $1200 tops. If you need to make
> significanly more calls than that then go find another career.
>
> But at least you get SOMETHING out of that $1200. Why should I pay 50%
> more because I want to replace my 500MHZ proc with a 750?
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

The license fee of SQL Server 2000 is not cheap. Because per-server licensing isn't available for SQL Server 2000, you might consider processor licenses, SQL Server 2000's other licensing model. With processor licenses you simply pay a flat fee ($4999 for the Standard Edition or $19,999 for the Enterprise Edition) for each processor in your box. You get unlimited client and Internet access to the server and don't need to purchase any CALs. For example, running SQL Server 2000 Enterprise on 64 processors will cost almost $1,273,600.

--
e-Consultant
http://www.asl.com.hk/employment.htm