Re: Recover After Crash

From: Mike Kluev <kluev_at_stalker.-deIete-.gamma.ru>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:36:03 +0400

In Article 8pop3h$i9i$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com, Joe Maloney wrote:

> If you user is connected for hours, there is an open transaction
> anyway.

Why? If user does not open transaction, the ony thing that is opened is "session" (connection) not transaction.

> If you are looking for an automatic way to clear locks, then consider
> either a dbms_job or a system startup trigger.
... skipped

Both these approaches do not recover document within minutes after client workstation dies. They only solve "database down" scenario.

> comparison of one of the address fields in v$lock against the session
> addr field in v$session should be able to identify an orphan lock.

> I also did not see your OS. THere may be complications because the
> user has an orphan session in Oracle-- orphan because Oracle and the OS
> think the user is there, but the user is really gone, because of
> network or workstation problems.

I've tried to experiment with v$session table and observed exactly the same problems that you mention - Oracle thinks that user is still there during "hours" after my workstation crashed (by force quitting application or by unplugging the power or network cord). Is there a way to control this timeout, so Oracle will kill orphan sessions in munutes? We use NT and Sun as a server and NT, 95, 98, 2000, Macintoshes as clients.

--
Michael Kluev.

PS. Remove "-delete-." part of my e-mail address to reply.