Re: multiblock read count

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:28:41 GMT

In article <8pqa2s$pjm$1_at_xs4.xs4all.nl>,   rjn_at_pobox.com (Fidelio) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have db_file_multiblock_read_count set to 16 and my block size
> is 4K. I remember reading somewhere that for optimal performance
> db_file_multiblock_read_count * db_block_size should be 64 KB.
>
> Is this still true for Oracle 8 ? If you have loads of 500 MB
> tables with 300 MB indexes, does the performance still get a
> increase by specifying a larger multiblock read count ?

> --
> Get tons of referrals - Sign up now ! http://www.refmatrix.com/
> The Adsenger information resource -

 http://www.xs4all.nl/~rob/adsenger.html

Multi-block read count only comes into effect for full table scans (and maybe fast full index scans). In the past it has been recommended to set this parameter equal to the OS maximum number of bytes that can be read in one IO request which is usually 64K or 128K on most UNIX systems. However, the setting effects the CBO optimizer and larger settings influence it to choose full table scans over indexes so you may want to set this parameter below it OS dependent maximum setting. The number of blocks is Oracle block size dependend but based on the Performance and Tuning Class Student notes it would appear that the cutoff  is 64K ( 8 8K blocks ). And this is where I imagine the 64K number comes from.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Sep 14 2000 - 08:28:41 CDT