Re: trigger to send email

From: descmath <kevind_at_descmath.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 03:28:36 GMT

James wrote:

> Our development team want to send email to user whenever the user's
 record
> is updated. Is it do-able with Oracle 8.1.6? Thanks in advance.

To do so, you have to make a system call to either sendMail (UNIX), MAPISend (NT), or whatever email system you've got running.

In 7.x, the way I sent mail was to write a control file (using UTLFile) to the operating system (you can look in the sendMail documentation for the format of this file.) Then I would have a chron job that fired every 15 minutes that executed the control files for any e-mails. This leaves up to a 15 minute gap between the update and the e-mail.

With 8, I understand you can call the execute separately, and get rid of the delay.

hope that helps.
kd