Re: Tablesspaces and Datafiles - Max Sizes?

From: <prasad_vadlamani_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 15:20:40 GMT

In article <9pTv5.2001$UI3.216899_at_paloalto-snr1.gtei.net>,   "Ted McCabe" <theom_at_gte.net> wrote:
> The current limit on a single data file is 2G.
> HTH
> tED
> "James Hanway" <hanwayj_at_XXXmar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm looking at building a rather large database to hold ocean mapping
> > data, currently in v7.3.4, soon to be in v8.0.5 on a Digital UNIX box.
> > The idea is to keep a LARGE chunk of data from an even larger "off-line"
> > archive sitting on-line in a series of tables within a massive
> > tablespace. Sizes of close to 300-500 GIG on-line have been tossed
> > around.
> >
> > To date, I've never pushed the size of individual datafiles past 1000M,
> > which of course means 300-500 individual datafiles for that tablespace.
> > Anyone have any comments/thoughts on how large a datafile can *SAFELY*
> > be, and how many datafiles a given tablespace can have, and its
> > relationship to the MAXDATAFILE clause of the CREATE DATABASE command?
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > James

Hi all,

I did some testing on the maximim sizes on Sun Solaris 2.6 under veritas file system 3.1

Oracle software is able to create the maximum size of 4gb for datafile under 8.0.5 environment.

Oracle software is able to create the maximim size of 8gb for datafile on 8.1.5 environment.

Hope this helps

Prasad Vadlamani
Sr.Oracle DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Sep 14 2000 - 10:20:40 CDT