Re: Test Recovery from Hot Backups

From: Big Al <db-guru_at_att.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:24:01 GMT

sanbara_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running Oracle Version 7.3.4.5 with NT 4.0
>
> I'm testing my first ever "Restore" from hot backups and I've got some
> questions on the basics(pardon me!!)
>
> 1. How to create disaster situation which requires a DB restore?.
> e.g Should I delete all the datafiles and control file and leave the
> online redo logs?
> <<snipped>>

I wrote an Oracle recovery document for a client that I am not at liberty to share with the newsgroup. However, I will paste in the table of contents to give you an idea of the situations you might want to test. It is a word document so the lost formatting will probably make some of the text hard to read.

Al

				Table of Contents
Oracle Recovery Types	3
Instance Recovery:	3
Process Recovery:	3
Recovery from a non-system error:	3
Media Recovery:	4
Generic Recovery Steps:	4
			Oracle Recovery Procedures
Loss of Oracle Executables	5
Full System Recovery  (Datafiles, Redo Logs, Archive Log Files, &
Control Files are lost)	5
Point In Time Recovery   (Any Files or None Lost)	5
Full System, Archive Logs available (Datafiles, Redo Logs & Control
Files are lost)	6
Missing, Corrupted or Lost Archive Logs	6
Lost Redo Logs (Two Cases)	6
Missing Control Files (Two cases - extra control file exists & all
control files destroyed)	6
Individual Datafile(s) Recovery  (Two cases - database up & database
down)	7
Various Other Combinations of Lost/Corrupted Files	8
Datafiles, redo logs & archive logs lost - only control files still
available	8
Datafiles, control files and archive log files lost - only redo logs
still available	8
Datafiles and redo logs lost	8
Redo logs and archive log files lost	9
Redo logs and control files lost	9
Redo logs, archive log files, & control files lost  - all datafiles
still good.	10
Control files and archive files lost  1) extra control file exists 2)
all control files destroyed)	11
Control files and datafiles lost	11
Datafiles and archive log files lost (Two cases)	11
Individual Table Recovery   (Read user error section first)	12
			Useful Oracle Commands
Logon  & Logoff (CONNECT & EXIT)	13
Startup Options	13
Shutdown Options	14