Re: Test Recovery from Hot Backups

From: Dirk Mika <dirk.mika.dm1_at_bayer-ag.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:59:41 +0200

Hi,

> 1. How to create disaster situation which requires a DB restore?.
> e.g Should I delete all the datafiles and control file and leave the
> online redo logs?

I would start with deleting all the datafiles. First try the simple one: delete just one datafile of a data-tablespace.

Then you could test different things:

  1. loss of a rollback-tablespace-datafile
  2. loss of a system-tablspace-datafile
  3. loss of all controlfiles

Also think about loss of offline/online-redologs.

Since i'am working on a unix environment it didn't happen that i lost more than one file, so far, because the files are spread over severals disks. <knock-on-wood>

Regards Dirk Mika

--
Bayer AG
WD-AED /LEV