Re: Process priorities

From: Ralf Jonas <ralf.jonas_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:33:38 +0200

Hi,

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> It would at least have helped if we didn't have to guess your operating
> system.
>
> BTW Oracle advises against changing priorities.
> Better optimize the procedure or the instance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> "Ralf Jonas" <ralf.jonas_at_gmx.de> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > we have some trouble with long running stored procedures on our
> > server, in that way that normal interactive communication between the
> > programm and the database is quite impossible. These long running jobs
> > have no high priority, so best of all would be to give these sessions
> > a lower priority, so that interactive operations with less I/O
> > consumption will be still fast enough.
> >
> > Since we didn't find any trick to make Oracle running these sessions
> > at a lower priority we fiddled around with some lines in V$SYSSTAT
> > containing the current CPU consumption of the machine. Our idea was to
> > hold the long running processes in a loop, delaying for e.g. 10
> > seconds (by calling DBMS_PIPE.RECEIVE_MESSAGE or something like that)
> > and then analyzing the load value in V$SYSSTAT. Is the load still too
> > high then continue cycle else start your work. We never found a usable
> > value in V$SYSSTAT suitable for this job.
> >
> > Another problem are user starting these long running jobs, who
> > terminates their clients by opening the task manager and shutting down
> > the client. The PL/SQL routines on the server continues running of
> > course. Is there since Oracle 8i any chance to abort these routines on
> > another way than shutting down Oracle with shutdown abort?
> >
> > Any hints, ideas?
> > Thanks in advance
> > Ralf Jonas

Our operating systems are Sun Solaris 5.7 and SuSE Linux 7.0. The routines are highly optimized, in fact there's really that much data to compute. I know Oracle advises not to change process priority but how about the session priority?
And more important: I still don't know how to get information about the current CPU load to code a scheduler on my own. We really need it.

Thanks for your help
  Ralf Jonas Received on Thu Sep 14 2000 - 01:33:38 CDT