Re: Becoming an Oracle DBA

From: <kkt62_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 15:40:05 GMT

On the Oracle education web site, there is a news release that mentions the number of OCPs. As of July 2000, there are ~ 30,000 OCPs worldwide, with approximately 1,500 being certified each month. It does not give numbers by tracks, just by total OCPs.

In article <pqgv5.1964$Zk.11582_at_news3.atl>,   "Jerry" <america_at_usa.com> wrote:
> The last time I checked with Oracle, there were only ~ 24,000 Oracle
> Certified Professionals
> worldwide. Oracle certification is challenging and if you can pass all
 the
> tests, my money
> says you know your stuff. Your chances of getting a Job are excellent,
 even
> with no experience,
> although, it would be better If your had some kind of ' IT '
 experience.

> AH <gucciard_at_Bayou.UH.EDU> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm planning on making a career change and becoming an Oracle DBA.
> > I'm currently studying for the 1st exam of the Oracle DBA
 certification--
> > Exam 1Z0-001 "SQL and PL/SQL". I would really appreciate your
 comments
> > and/or suggestions on the following questions:
> >
> > 1. In your experience, is it easy to find a job as an Oracle DBA
 with no
> > experience and with just the Oracle certification? For instance,
 would it
> > be better to go through my Oracle DBA certification and then apply
 for a
> > DBA job (with no experience in databases), or would it be better to
 work
> > as an SQL programmer for a while and acquire some experience, and
 then
> > apply for a DBA job upon completing my certification?
> >
> > 2. What type of salary should a DBA with no experience expect (in
> > Texas). What about a DBA with 1, 5, and 10 years of experience?
> >
> > 3. Which version of Oracle should I get my DBA certification on
 (version
> > 8, 8i, 9i, ... ) ?
> >
> > 4. What are some pros and cons of working as an Oracle DBA?
 Specifically,
> > is this a stressful job? Is there a lot of overtime involved?
> >

> > Thank you in advance for your help.
> > a_h

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Sep 14 2000 - 10:40:05 CDT