Re: DB file not updated in ARCHIVELOG mode?

From: Dave A <dave_and_vanna_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:38:27 -0500

Yes, archive logs that have been backed up can be deleted, since they can be recovered from backup(you hope :-)

What the original poster was saying is that you can delete archived logs if a. you have them backed up via hotbackup

OR (not and)

b. they are older than your last cold backup

I think you may have misundertood condition b. When recovering using a cold backup, you cannot "roll forward" using archives logs. You simply restore the database and bring it up as is(or as it was when the backup took place. Since archive logs are basically useless to a restore from cold backup, there is no need to keep them around if they are older than your last cold backup.

--
Dave A