Re: ER Studio vs. Erwin vs. Oracle designer.

From: Christopher <blueberryjam_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 Sep 2000 23:48:19 GMT

I went though this same process about a year ago. We went with Embarcadero because of its price and ease of use. Designer is a full lifecycle tool and is a bit
complex when you just want to generate ER diagrams and reverse engineer existing schemas. If I were still consulting I would go with Designer, but as a DBA in a fast paced Internet environment I picked ER/Studio.

As for ERwin. I had trouble with it on a project and have never looked back. It died every time I tried to reverse engineer a schema with over 200 objects in it. It is still the defacto standard in ER tools, though. If you are going to be sharing your design with many different organizations, go with ERwin. Everyone has it.

Hope this helps.

Christopher