Re: Person leaving company

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 22:58:03 +1000

Funny. On the Backup and Recovery course, there's a slide about 'disaster recovery', and it mentions fire, flood, earthquake, meteorite strikes (OK, I made that last one up) ..... and loss of key personnel (and no, I *didn't* make that one up).

There's not much you can do about earthquakes, but the answer to the last one comes in three parts: documentation, documentation and documentation.

So your question to your departing DBA is really easy: where's the documentation? And if he hasn't got any, then he hasn't done his job. Which doesn't make yours any easier, I agree.

I guess if he can't supply you with good documentation, I'd be tempted to ask what his policies on backup and recovery have been, what tablespace management strategies he's employed (is everything on autoextend for example), what roles has he employed for security issues, and what scripts has he used for automating any tasks. There's heaps more, but if you only have a few days....

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000