Re: can you help me understand this?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 08:23:26 +0200

One thing I know is the analyze will use temporary tablespace. My guess is that particular index became so screwed up, there was some memory problem in analyzing it, and this error was untrapped, and it looked like the process wouldn't simply return any more.
To check for 'efficiency' of indexes
(particular knowing the number of deleted keys ) you should do the following:
analyze <index_name> validate structure;

select * from index_stats;
This will tell you how much wasted space there is in the b-tree,. how many deleted keys there are and so on.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA