Re: Oracle 8i TNS Error

From: Oracler <spam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:13:02 GMT

its definitely your tnsnames.ora file.
Here is how one tnsnames.ora should look like.

alias.computer.com =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 200.200.200.1)(PORT = 1521))     (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = ORCL))   )

first try:
c:>tnsping alias.computer.com
does it find it ?? it should.
second.
c:>sqlplus user/pass alias.computer.com
does it work ?... it should :-)
next.
Does your enterprise manager have repository set up ? If not, go to enterprise manager configuration assistant and set it up.

Is yor management server service started ?... if not, go to control panel, services and start it up.

Now.. connect to your server... when you connect using your OEM, use the IP (200.200.200.1 as in this example), not your database alias  alias.computer.com )

Hope that helps.

Thanks