Re: Oracle Listener Problem

From: Doug Coan <dcoan_at_aegonusa.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:34:25 GMT

In article <39BDFB91.60CB24ED_at_cs.utwente.nl>,   Nickolay Dokovsky <dokovsky_at_cs.utwente.nl> wrote:
> --------------5EA15C6CF774F1E06AB6AD28
>
> Hi,
> I have a serious problem with my oracle listener. On windows 2000 box
> are running two network cards one is Ethernet 3 Com the other is ATM
> Fore HE 155. When ATM is activated, Oracle listener receives request
> from net8 client (other windows 2000 box) but times out, because could
> not resolve SERVICE_NAME string (strange everything is ok with the
> string). If a request, through local net8 client (same machine as
 oracle
> server) with tcp/ip configuration, is made, the listener is ok. All
> other tcp/ip applications over ethernet are running. (Web Server,
> telnet, ftp etc.) perfect. When ATM is disabled evr. is working just
> fine.
> Thank you
> Nicky
>
> --------------5EA15C6CF774F1E06AB6AD28
>
> begin:vcard
> n:Dokovsky;Nickolay
> tel;cell:+31623003295
> tel;work:+31534893283
> x-mozilla-html:FALSE
> url:www.ctit.utwente.nl
> org:CTIT - University of Twente;Web Development Team
> adr:;;P.O. Box 217;Enschede;n/a;7500 AE;Netherlands
> version:2.1
> email;internet:dokovsky_at_cs.utwente.nl
> title:Fellow Researcher
> fn:Nickolay Dokovsky
> end:vcard
>
> --------------5EA15C6CF774F1E06AB6AD28--

If I read this corrrect, we have had the same problem. Here is what we found.

Card 1 = Computername.DomainA.com IP = 123.123.123.12 Card 2 = Computername.DomainB.com IP = 123.123.123.98

The listener is set to listen on COMPUTERNAME only. When resolving locally is resoves to computername.DomainB.com or card2 and is not listening on card 1 probably due to order of the bindings.

However, clients may resolve to computername.DomainA.com ie - Card 1.

Check the SQLNET.ORA(s). The default_domain may be set differently than you would expect. The new NET8 config thing defaults this to your current IP domain rather than .WORLD. This has also caused us problems.

- Set up the listener to listen on both IP addresses or domains.
- Fully qualify your comptername
- Change the binding order (beware that you may need to reconfig
evertime you change bindings)
- Change how the DNS (or wins) is resolving from various domains.

HTH.....

--
Doug Coan
Oracle Certified Professional DBA