Re: Newbie security question

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:31:22 GMT

In article <8pl7lt$8rn$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   terry_stjean_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> We have 2 tablespaces, dev and prod (development and production). We
> have 2 users set up, devuser and produser. Devuser should have read
> access to tablespace prod as well as all data and object access to
> tablespace dev. Produser should have no access to tablespace dev and
> only data access to tablespace prod.
> What do I need to do to set this up this way.
>
> Terry

1) Give each userid only the privileges it needs including quota only on its object target tablespaces

2) Do not give out access to the id's to anyone you are not forced to give them to

3) Instead set up a prod user role and a test user role and perform the necessary grants to the role and give the roles respectively to a prod application user and test application user. Give these out as necessary.

Item 3 will separate the object ownership/modification function from the data manipulation function. The prod owner can issue a select privilege to the test user role. Using roles allows the use of a single grant statement to provide all necessary DML privileges to any number of production or test id's. I come from the school of thought where every user should have to logon with their own id and an application should not run as a single database user. Hard coded id/password combinations are security weak points cause they are not that hard to get.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.