Re: Oracle with multiple CPUs

From: Nevin Hahn <nevin.hahn_at_born.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 06:23:47 GMT

I agree with Barbara,

However, in answer to the questions,

  1. Yes there are init.ora parameters to set, parallel_min_servers, parallel_max_servers, and there are others you may want, check the reference manual.
  2. There are no problems with altering a table to add or reduce degree's of parallelism. As far as benefits, what we are discussing here is generally called Parallel Query, which will only come into play when using hints or, becomes the default behavior when a table has degee's of parallelism and a full table scan is chosen in the execution plan of a query. So if your application has tables with large numbers of rows and queries perform frequent full table scans, then you will see some performance gains. In addition to this, you will need memory to go along with additional CPU, otherwise performance will not improve as much as expected.
  3. Yes, hints can force parallel query.