Re: Extent Allocation among Multiple Datafiles ?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:56:18 +0100

Steve,

I think that this is another of those 'little things' which Oracle has improved over time without getting round to mentioning it as a feature in the manuals.

I have just run a quick series of simple tests in 8.1, and been unable to break the cycle by leaving isolated free extents of exactly the right size in the 'wrong' tablespace. It is still possible, of course, that more complex situations would result in undesirable behaviour; and I am fairly sure that I have seen some examples in Oracle 8.0.4 which were less precise.

--

Jonathan Lewis